Saturday, February 26, 2011

A birthing adventure 46/365

keeping the babies warm
This has been a very long week. William and I were looking over the blog today and I was kind of surprised to see that all the babies have been born this week. Monday seems likes weeks ago.

We had two more babies born!
It's really fun how every birth has been so different. I hope you're not getting tired of hearing about them because we still have two more pregnant mothers!

Today started out normal enough. Actually it seemed like it was going to be a slow Friday. Baby and I got up about 9 and stayed in our room for a while reading books and sitting on her potty. Actually Baby Girl told me she wanted to sit on her potty this morning and then she went POO!
I am so proud of her. She's only 16 months and she's already telling me when she wants to go. And that folks is Elimination Communication.

Anyway, when we finally emerged from our room William and my mom were no where to be found. I looked for them and then checked on the goats from the back window with the binoculars my mom keeps by the window (for checking on the goats, not the neighbors).

Then baby and I had breakfast together. We shared fried eggs and teased the dog a little with them. About 10:20am Aunt Mae called and we talked for a couple of minutes and then I wandered over to the window to check on the goats with the binoculars again.

It was so interesting to see her eat the placenta
I had noticed the first time I checked that one of the goats, Tahoe, was keeping her self separate from the others and I wanted to make she wasn't having a baby yet. She didn't seem like she was in active labor yet but I wanted to check.

I am so glad I did.


Tahoe wasn't in labor but when I went to scan the other mamas I saw that Lea, who was not showing signs earlier of being in labor, was bloody on her back end and there was something coming out!

I snatched up the baby and ran to our room. I still had no idea where my mom and William were and some one had to get out there. I dressed both me and baby as fast as I could and ran out the to goat pen. It maybe took us 10 minutes to get out there. if that.

By the time we got out there two baby goats were laying on the ground and Lea was looking MUCH thinner. I could tell that the second baby had JUST been born. He was still in the goo and needed to be cleaned up. I wrapped him in a towel and got him in a more dry place and tried to help him nurse. The other baby was already starting to walk a little so I tired to help her nurse.

Lea with her strong and healthy babies
Both the babies were very big, but then their mother had been HUGE. It was really cold  out and I needed to wrap them up to keep them warm. MY poor baby wasn't sure what was going on. She kissed and patted the girl goat for a while but then didn't like that I was holding these new babies instead of her.

Luckily we were only out there about half an hour before William and my mom came home. They had taken the two babies that were born on Wednesday to the vet.

My mom and I stayed with the babies for another couple of hours and William took Bonita in the house to warm up and play. It was a such sweet time of bonding with the new babies and trying to help them nurse. Lea and I have never been good friends before this but I think she was thankful I was there. She give me a few kisses on my nose and forehead to say thank you.

Her babies are strong and healthy weighing 8 1/2  pounds (3.8kilos) and 9 pounds (4kilos). We named them Charlie and Charlotte.

Dear Charlotte

Sweet Charlie
Happy weekend every one. I'm going to take an aspirin and get some sleep. I hope you can too.

Baby Bonita in the goat pen



No comments:

Post a Comment