Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Snow. Then and Now 16/365



On January 25th 2008 William and I moved from the town of Wuxi, China, to Shanghai.  We had no friends, spoke no Chinese, had no jobs and had very little money.  That night, it snowed.  At the time everyone was freaked out because it hadn't snowed in Shanghai for 90 years or so, but it's snowed every winter since then. 

I was actually quite delighted with the snow because snow is always magical. Like a blessing from heaven. I love how it makes everything sparkle.

 Unfortunately for us our heater broke. The fan got ice on it and broke in half. It was so cold in our small apartment that even with all our warm clothes on we just couldn't get warm. We had no idea who to call or how to communicate, so we did what a lot Chinese people do to keep warm. We went out. We spent the day at the art museum and enjoyed their heating. 



Here is a picture of the view from our 17th floor apartment.


Last night at about midnight I looked out the window and saw big fluffs of snow falling from the sky. I got baby and William out of bed and dragged them to the front porch to marvel at the magic of it.  I really do love to watch it snow. Baby thought it was great fun and was fascinated by how it stuck in our hair.

 Here is a picture of the view from our kitchen window.



 What a difference!

I don't regret our time in China. I'm thankful for our friends there and miss them. Some days I miss the city. But I am so thankful for where we are now. For trees and clean air and blue skies. For silence.


But no matter where I am. I'm thankful for snow.





I'll leave you with the most adorable picture of Rosie standing on the heater vent to keep her feet warm. She most have learned this trick from her Nana.

No comments:

Post a Comment