Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday 58/365

Today is Ash Wednesday. This morning we got up early and went to the 8am mass at St. Patrick's Catholic church and the Priest put ashes on our foreheads.

Many Protestants have the misconception that only Catholics celebrate Ash Wednesday and Lent. But actually the Methodists, Presbyterian, Lutherans and Reformed churches also honor Ash Wednesday with the wearing of ashes on the forehead.

My favorite part about Ash Wednesday, apart from the time to reflect on the past year and look forward to "spiritual spring" and Easter, is that the ashes are made from the palm branches from the previous year's Palm Sunday.  I like that the palms from such a joyful Sunday come full circle and help us prepare for the reflective time of Lent.

When the Priest put the ashes on our foreheads today he said "Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return." This always reminds me that I need to live a more deliberate life. It reminds me that life is short and that I want to think about what I do more. Instead of just drudging threw thoughtlessly.  


But today it meant something so much more. I'm not sure if I can put into words how I felt about it. But then they put the ashes on Baby Girl's forehead and said to her "Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return." I felt very sad.  I know I'm not perfect, I know I'm human. But Baby Girl is so perfect to me. I don't want to think about her life being short. I don't want to think about her being human. She's my little Angel from heaven. 
Well enough of all that heavy stuff! After naps and food we went out and played with the goats. Played in the mud. And got stuck in the rain. It was a wonderful day.

1 comment: