Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Best Salad Dressing Ever

Let me tell you about my latest addiction. 

 It all started when I learned I was allergic to soy. Have you ever tried to find a salad dressing without soybean oil it in? It's next to impossible. 

 Then I heard a cooking show on NPR. The lady said "Don't waist your money on salad dressing. You can make your own that tastes a lot better for a lot cheaper." 

After playing around with a few different ingredients and combinations we found a recipe that we all just love.
We love it so much that I could eat it breakfast, lunch and dinner.
So I thought I'd share it.
 
Ingredients:

Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Lemon Juice
Garlic Olive Oil OR a clove of Garlic
Capers
Anchovies
One Avocado 

(if you want to be really extravagant it tastes fabulous with two avocados)

I buy the flat anchovies and put about 4 in the mix. The rest I leave in the tin and place the tin in a plastic container and keep in the fridge for next time.

Garlic Olive Oil I get from Trader Joe's.
If you don't have a Trader Joe's near you (have to drive an hour to mine, so I stock up), then cut up a clove of garlic and toss that in.













I don't measure.
I don't really measure any time I'm cooking.
It freaks William out a little bit. Especially when I'm baking.
So I just pour in whatever I think looks about right. 

I pour everything in my Nutribullet 
(which I highly recommend to anyone who likes to make smoothies or baby food or their own salad dressing or anything that requires a blender).

I pour everything in the largest of the canisters with more oil than lemon juice.
(Of course if you like a more tangy lemony taste then put more lemon juice.)
I use the puree blade.

There it is all waiting to be pureed.
Then I blend till everything is creamy smooth.
It comes out a little thick but not too thick. If you want it thinner add more lemon juice.
It can be served as a dip.

Or on an awesome "all the veggies I found in the fridge" salad.
You can toss it into the salad and get everything nice a coated with it,
I store mine in a mason jar because it's cute and convenient
or you can just glop a bunch on your salad and enjoy!
That's it. It's super simple and healthy but best of all it tastes fantastic.

My two favorite things about this, besides how fabulous it tastes, is that it's healthy and you don't have to feel like 
"Well this salad was good for me until I covered it with sugar filled dressing."
Also, I like knowing exactly what is in the food I'm eating and this way do.

No comments:

Post a Comment