Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Summer Reading 119/365

My brothers, reading in bed
When I was about 10 we loved down the street from the public library. Every summer the library would have a summer reading program. I don't remember what the prizes were, but I do remember the stickers I got to put on my reading chart.

My mom took us to the Library almost daily and when she couldn't my brother, Luke, and I rode our bikes to take part in story times, craft times, Charlie Chaplin movies, or just to sit and read.

That was the summer that I moved from the children's books to the "young adult" books. That was also the summer I read Beauty by Robin McKinley
and became totally obsessed with the Beauty and the Beast story. I borrowed every version of the story the library had.


Ever since then Summer has been a time of reading for me. I'm usually reading something during the rest of the year, but during the summer I just crave books. I crave stories and adventures and characters I can fall in love with. 


Last Summer I was home with an infant and had a ready reading summer. Actually I listened to the book on audible.com since I had a baby to take care of.  

 Here is a list of books I read last summer that I would HIGHLY recommend:
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

The Help by Kathryn Stockett (which is coming out as a movie this summer so check out. It was absolutely sublime.) 
Pride And Prejudice by Jane Austen (which actually I read or listen to every summer)
Neverwhere: A Novel by Neil Gaiman (one of my favorite authors of all time!)
 
I'm not sure what I'll read this summer, but William's mom did send me Lady Audley's Secret by Mary Elizabeth Braddon  for my birthday and I'm really looking forward to reading it. Also I'll be checking out some books on audible again.
 
 What are you planning on reading this summer?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure yet, but hopefully something creepy. Remember those two books we read a couple of years ago, the Thirteenth Tale and the Graveyard Book? I need a couple more good books like those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were amazing books. I loved them both. They were
    The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
    and
    The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

    ReplyDelete