Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Happy Anniversary Mom and Dad

36 years ago today two young kids were getting married. She was 19, he was 20 and they were beautifully in love. And young. Very very young.

36 years later they have 4 wonderfully attractive children with 4 equally attractive spouses and 7 unbearably beautifully grand babies.

That's 15 more lives, 15 more smiles, and 15 infections laughs all because of two wonderfully in love people.

I've only been around for 33 of those years, but they have been fun and full of wonderful memories.

Here's a list of things I've learn from my parents in their marriage:

~To dance in the kitchen. Ok. Really I learned to dance from Dad while I learned how to be dragged around the kitchen with out moving your feet from Mom.

~ To laugh together. Loudly (Dad), and quietly (Mom... or as she says "I'm laughing on the inside")

~ To have ice cream from breakfast.

~ To have chocolate for breakfast

~ To have breakfast for dinner

~ How to really enjoy a vacation (I mentioned Ice Cream for breakfast)

~ To enjoy the magic of life in everyday situations.

~ No matter how poor you are, always find a way to go to Disneyland

~ To do what works for your family and your marriage, no matter what everyone else is doing or saying and no matter how non-conventional it may seem.

~ To value each other

~To respect each other's differences and strengths

~ To put my kids first and above all else.

~ To serve the good ice cream to the kids

~ To read together, even if you're not "together". Audio books are great for that!

~ To work through the difficult times. And not to dwell on the bad times once they are over.

~ To focus on the good times. And always be planning and dreaming up more.

I could go on and on but it's time to read to my two year old and pester my husband before he falls asleep. Two things I learned from my parents.

Thank you Mom and Dad for your wonderful love for us kids, now and when we were little.
Thank you for setting such a wonderful example of how to put your kids first and raise us in such a fun and happy environment.
Even if it wasn't always perfect, I have so many perfectly wonderful and happy memories it almost seems as if it was.

Happy 36 years.... and I hope to God my Rosie doesn't get married when she's 19.

1 comment: