Thursday, July 9, 2009

Pregnant in Shanghai


It's very interesting being pregnant in Shanghai. Every one as advice for you. Which I think is pretty common in any part of the world. The interesting part is the advice they have.

For example, If you are pregnant you should:
-not eat ice cream or cold food because you should freeze the baby
-not use the computer, cell phone, microwave or other electronics because of radiation.
- you should also wear one of these lovely things over your clothes to protect the baby from Radiation.



... it's a lead lined apron/shirt. and trust me... NONE Of the ones I've seen worn by the girls here look nearly this cute. And it does NOT seem like great summer wear if you ask me.

Since I'm not wearing the apron a friend of ours gave me a bracelet of crystal beads that are supposed to absorb the radiation out of my body. Unfortunately I don't think she realized the "crystals" were actually just plastic.

Also on the list of Do's and Don'ts:

-Don't work.
-DON'T do house work ("you might bump your belly on the edge of a table or something" I was told)
-Don't drink ANY coffee
-Don't wear heals or any height
-Don't walk too much, or exercise.

Pregnant women here cut their hair short so they don't have to wash it very often as taking a shower can make you cold. And can expose your body to wind... and that's bad for the baby...

There are some other great tips and stories that make me laugh and cringe... but I can't remember them right now as I'm hungry again. More on being pregnant in Shanghai later...

1 comment:

  1. and Chinese babies are still born every day - the mothers and the babies seem to survive those ridiculous ideas. Wow.

    I think you should get one of those lead-lined shirts. You never know when someone is going to randomly turn on an x-ray machine while you're walking down the street.

    ReplyDelete