Monday, June 15, 2009

A Taste of Home


We are spoiled in Shanghai. I admit it.
Sometimes (if you go to the right places) it's easy to forget you are in China.

Like last night.
Last night was Monday night. Every Monday night there's a local bar/restaurant that has buy one get one free hamburgers. They are still expensive but you only have to pay for one. So occasionally we indulge. Like last night. (I forgot to take a picture of my burger so you will just have to trust me... it was wonderful... and they even had mustard!)


The only problem is that all the OTHER foreigners in town also take advantage of buy one get one free burgers. Sometimes that's fun... some times you meet interesting people or see people you haven't seen in a while. Other times it's annoying (Especially if you sit next to a table of annoying Americans or French people).

Anyway, There are lots of things in Shanghai that are little tastes of home. Here are just a few examples.


McDonald's is everywhere... you just can't avoid it.








Starbucks is taking over the world... or at least China. There are WAY to many of these here! (But they are the first ones to start playing Christmas music every year... which is the only time I go there)





This actually surprised me so I had to take a picture of it. It's the US Flag flying over the Regency Hotel.



7/11 just arrived in Shanghai. I was very excited about it and was looking forward to a summer filled with ICEEs but alas, they have no Icee Machine :o( you can find Chinese steamed buns there though.



I had no idea we had Kinkos in Shanghai and don't know what I would ever use them for ... but we have them :o)

I told you Shanghai was awesome!

2 comments:

  1. Ha Ha Ha!!!

    You said "steamed buns."

    :-0

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha!!

    yes. Yes I did.

    I knew I could count on you to see the humor in that! :o)

    ReplyDelete