Monday, August 31, 2009

"I can go ANYwhere.."

I found out this weekend the Reading Rainbow is finally going off the air after 26 years. Apparently, according to NPR, the only two children's shows that ran longer than that are Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street.
sigh.
Even though I haven't watched Reading Rainbow in a few years... I think I watched it about 3 years ago when I was home sick from work one day... I always felt kind of happy and comforted knowing that it was still out there... and that Mr. Burton was still hosting it.
Growing up we watched it every day and I was so in love with LeVar Burton. :o) Actually I started watching Star Trek because LeVar Burton was on it haha.

But seriously. This show taught me to love books and to love reading. I remember I would watch it and then go to the library and try and find the books that I saw on the show.(even if we'd already read them). And every summer I would participate in the Summer reading program because of this show.

At our local Library there was always a table of "Reading Rainbow Books" that I would always check out b/c ... if they were reading rainbow recommendations they MUST be good.

Anyway, I'm defiantly going to miss Reading Rainbow. I really hope the DVDs come out so I can raise my kids with this show.

I'll leave you with the opening song of the show that I STILL know all the words to...

1 comment:

  1. This is absolutely the first time I have wished that we ever had tv while raising William and Timothy, although I think that William managed to catch the reading bug anyway.

    ReplyDelete